Canuck Chicks Conga T-Shirts!!!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 38: Mon., July 20: Bangor, ME to St. Johnsbury, VT

I wasn't too far along U.S. Rte. 2 this morning, when the sign "Welcome to Mexico", gave me real pause. "WTF", I thought, "Where the heck am I? Boy, did I take a wrong turn somewhere". But no, pulling over to check my map, I discovered that there really is a town in Maine called Mexico. Too funny. It was sorta duded out a bit in western-cum-latin theme stuff, very unlike the rest of the areas I passed through.

First of all, I had gorgeous weather all day (and it's supposed to more of the same tomorrow) and secondly, although there were occasional clumps of traffic, Rte. 2 is a pretty low-stress ride. Speed limit is anything from 25 mph in small towns along the way, to 55 mph on longer, clear stretches.

Rte. 2 (according to Wikipedia) started life as the premier east-west highway in America, and was originally known as the Teddy Roosevelt Highway (that really appeals to me; I've had a soft spot for Ol' Teddy ever since my first viewing of 'Arsenic and Old Lace' -- and if you haven't seen THAT, you must -- at once!)

Today, you can still traverse the U.S. on Rte. 2; it is in two stretches - one goes from Everett, WA to the shores of Lake Michigan (I believe) and the second goes from east of Lake Ontario (?) through to Bangor, ME.

Anyway, it runs up and down hills and around corners, through twisties and the White Mountains, wending its way through every little town (and there are many) along the way. I love the towns -- each seems to have a bandstand in the park and a flagpole and the larger ones have a colonaded building that is either the courthouse or a local government building. Lots of folks have the Stars and Stripes flying and there is often a Historical Society and/or a Museum open. Most towns seem to have been established in the early 19th Century and there are plenty of vintage buildings too.

I loved every minute of this ride today -- I kept thinking of the town (River City, Iowa) in the musical film, 'The Music Man' and expecting a band to burst out in front of me any minute playing '76 Trombones' LOL

Anyway, I'm ensconced here at the 'Holiday Motel and Annex' (mustn't forget the Annex LOL) for the night ... and an early one I think it will be as I'm pretty tuckered. Just grabbed some very mediocre Italian food for dins and couldn't even be bothered to walk up the road to a place with a liquor licence to have a libation (quelle horreur!)

Nighty-night to All!

(Tomorrow will head a little further west and then north in Vermont towards the border.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Willi, I feel like I am right there with you..you certainly have a way with words. As I read your blog i could picture all that you described so wonderfully.
Well girl have a great night and ride safe as always tomorrow!

Cindy

Bikerhen said...

What a lovely detailed account of your day. It is a great road.. you can feel the history. There is no shortage of things to see.

Safe trip tomorrow!

Rhonda said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous day Daahling! Mexico.. LOL.. too funny! that would certainly give you a start .. haha
Have a nice nite and an even better day tomorrow... We're having some fine weather here too.
(((HUGS)))