Canuck Chicks Conga T-Shirts!!!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 58: Sun., Aug 9: Grand Forks to Mission BC: HOME HOME HOME

Home again, home again, jiggety-jog (or sumthin' like dat LOL) ...

Start odometer reading: 11,145 km
Finish odometer reading: 28,347 km

That's 17,202 km for the entire trip!!!

Well, Big Daddy and I got ourselves on the road earlyish today, about 8:30 a.m. We decided we would NOT do the Hope-Princeton, it being Sunday and probably would be a zoo with all the mad weekenders wanting to get home asap.

Instead, we decided to take the Coquihalla, originally thinking on heading to Osoyoos and then northwards. Then, on the way, Big Daddy suggested we deke off at Rock Creek onto Hwy 33 to Kelowna. We had taken this route in the 4X4 one winter 'just for fun' ACK! and he thought it might make a nice detour.

Well, it turned out to be a fabulous ride! Hardly any traffic on it at that time of a Sunday morn and just so pretty -- lotsa nice views, a cute little village or two (Beaverdell looks like worth a return visit) and wonderful, wonderful twisties. We arrived in Kelowna thoroughly satisfied with our morning's 'outing', all due to that wonderful force, serendipity -- ah, yes, where would we be without it???

After gassing up and a brief Timmie's visit, we headed off for the first leg of the Coq. What can I say about it except that it was busy ... and windy, as usual, but the good thing was we had fabulous sunshine all the way -- the last time I rode the Coq, it was pi$$ing down rain!

Another brief stop in Merritt for people food and off we rode to Hope -- even busier than the first leg, but we arrived safely despite all moronic driver's best attempts to cream us, only to look at the clouds gathering and say, 'oh, oh -- we better get home quick, or we'll get wet'.

So, off we went, hell-bent-for-election and arrived home about 5:00 p.m. The nasty clouds were nowhere to be seen anymore we had a lovely hot-tub soak, complete with CCC libation and then a nice BBQ. We're both pooped and ready to go to bed early tonight I can tell yah, so will post more tomorrow when the brain is actually (hopefully) fully engaged!

Night-night, all my faithful followers! I could not have done this without each and every one of you cheering me on!!!

PS: I arrived home to a house freshly housecleaned (!) and a lovely huge bouquet of flowers on the kitchen counter with a Welcome Home card from my darling Big Daddy (this boy is definitely a keeper!).

6 comments:

Flo said...

CONGRATS!!!!! WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

Bikerhen said...

What a lovely welcome home from your DH. I think he's a keeper for sure... a clean house AND flowers, followed by a peaceful evening in your own home. No matter how much fun you've had, nothing feels quite like home with your own things around.

Truly an amazing accomplishment Willi. Very few people ever do what you set out to do, not just ride across this country, but experience it in a FULL sense.

Dot

Anonymous said...

Congrats Willi. I knew you'd gitter dun! A trip of a lifetime, and you must feel so proud of yourself. Glad you finally found some good weather. We are heading west this Friday in search of some.

It was a pleasure to meet you and spend some time. I hope our paths cross again, perhaps next summer during our western tour.

Nice welcome home from your hubby. I think he missed ya!

Keep in touch!
Laurie

Rhonda said...

Wooohoooo!! You DID it !! You're my hero Willi... thanks for sharing this experience with me and everyone else by almost faithfully updating this blog...LOL. Most of us will never have the nerve, or finances.. or both to do what you did and you should be smiling like a cheshire cat at what you've accomplished. Awesome!! It seems like just a couple weeks ago we were doing the countdown to the Conga starting.. now it's done... *sigh* ... where did that time go??

It was wonderful to meet & spend some time with ya.... now...Write the Book!!I guarantee you it'll sell !!

Big Daddy sounds like a real sweetheart and I'd love to meet him one day. Stay safe, stay happy and remember.. keep the rubber on the road girl !!
Big Nova Scotia (((((((HUGZ))))))

Anonymous said...

I know Im posting this a day late but like my mom says "Better late than never"...Willi I am very blessed and proud to call you my friend. You are an inspiration to me. Hubby is amazed that you did this trip basically alone..you did have a few that managed to do some riding with ya, but for the most part you did it on yer own. You are one helluva woman!
And Big Daddy is awesome too to have the house cleaned and flowers waitin for ya wow . And to ride to Grand forks to meet up with ya now thats love...Ill be missing the blog but we will be keepin in touch via FB and any other means of communication! As I said before my door is always open to you and Big Daddy! So please come back for a visit soon. Miss you tons!
All my love
Cindy, Mooch , Beaver and of course myhubby James!

Anonymous said...

So awesome chicklet !! That man of yours is a keeper for sure!!!!!! Clean house ... meets you .... flowers ... it just doesn't get any better, does it?

I didn't hear/read about the book ... but I agree ... write it !!! If for nothing else, for yourself and family as an incredible keep sake.

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Congrats girly!

Tracy Bader